Organize/Outline Group Capstone Research Paper
Minimum of 10+ double-spaced pages of text
(+ 1 cover page and 1 reference page)
By now you are approaching the final modules of Command College. Judging by the work you’ve been submitting you bring tremendous knowledge and experience to this program. We’re excited and exhilarated by the opportunities to help build your knowledge and learn with and from you. My role as your lead instructor for the Capstone project is to help enhance your research, writing and presentation skills on a topic that has positive impact on law enforcement.
In preparation for our three intense days together (last 3 days of the residency), it’s important that our expectations are made clear to you.
- First, we are going to have fun with this process.
- Put your anxieties aside.
- Don’t underestimate how well you can research, how well you can write, or how well you can present materials. I’ve already seen your writing and have commented to you personally. I’m confident with the group’s writing and critical thinking performance to date.
- Perhaps some of you have never researched, or written a research paper, and that, my friends, is perfectly ok. Remember, this is all about learning – and I promise you we are all about to learn something new about the topic which you decide to research.
- Please note, all research topics must be approved by Dr. Normore.
Immediately below is a summary of what we will complete in three days. It’s intense but please remember you aren’t scheduled for other course work during those three days. This is strictly capstone time where excellent research and writing skills are the goals since we plan on publishing the final papers.
All Day Wednesday – Complete the following:
- Access the rubric
- Overview of APA Writing Style (See three APA slides for guide)
- Verify the topic
- Page 1 = Prepare running head (per APA) with cover page (title, participants and rank, session #, name of team, date,)
- Page 2 = abstract (150-200 words)
- Remaining pages must include:
- Purpose of the capstone research
- Significance of capstone topic
- Literature review (minimum of 4 references/sources)
- Follow the rubric and ensure all bullet points are addressed in paper.
- Role of leadership (refer to your course modules)
- Personal/professional experiences
- APA References
Thursday Morning – Complete the following:
- Edit/Polish entire paper with Normore
- Submit final version of paper to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon
Thursday Afternoon – Prepare Slide Presentations (10-15 slides; see Rubric Part III)
- 10-15 slides
- Follow rubric (Part III)
- Submit to Normore by 4:00pm for final approval
- Present in Uniform
- Provide 2 copies of your paper
- Provide 2 copies of your presentation slides
- Indicate number of guests attending
Friday Morning Presentation Schedule – 30 Minute Allocation
- 8:00 – 8:30am: Team Lions
- 8:30 – 9:00am: Team Wolves
- 9:00 – 9:30am: Team Tigers
- 9:30 – 10:00am: Team Eagles
- 10:00 – 10:30am: Team Cobras
Friday Afternoon – Graduation Ceremony
Anthony (Tony) H. Normore, Ph.D